Have you ever heard that phrase 'Muffins are just cupcakes without frosting'? Well, these muffins definitely fit in that category. While they aren't as full of sugar as a traditional cupcake, the decadent mixture of matcha and white chocolate definitely makes them feel more like a dessert than a breakfast pastry. Don't worry though, we won't tell if you decide to eat them for breakfast anyway, we know we are!
Matcha and White Chocolate Oat Muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 12 muffins
1 Tbsp ZenMatcha Mixing Grade matcha powder
1 Tbsp boiling water
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp fine salt
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 cup quality white chocolate, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-tin muffin tray with liners.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together matcha and water until the matcha is fully dissolved. Add a bit more water if needed to get a smooth, runny matcha mixture.
3. In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar, eggs, yogurt, vanilla and add in the matcha mixture until well blended.
4. Stir in the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ginger until smooth. Fold in the chocolate.
5. Using a large ice cream scoop, evenly divide mixture amongst the prepared muffin tray.
6. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the muffins bounce back to touch.